Thursday, April 22, 2010

Costumes, Connections and Craft

At 7.03am this morning I had a need to be a good mother and produce costumes for my daughters' Earth Day parade. As neither of them is particularly bothered with dressing up I had thought I could get away without actually making any, but I'm a stay-at-home mum... I should be able to do these things...

So here are the results:


Five minutes of stapling + 2 minutes rummaging around the rubbish = 2 happy girls! Hurrah for inspiration.

Since I'm no longer spending every spare hour when the girls are in school looking for houses I looked upon today as a day for getting things done. I did, but it wasn't the things I was expecting. Instead of the piles of washing, tidying bedrooms and sorting mail I made connections. I managed to call a few people I should have called ages ago (Alison and Rachael - my best, best friends), check up on Jill (my best, best mother-in-law), talk with Pete (my best, best father-in-law.. [Are you reading this?]), arrange play dates for the girls, scrapbooking dates with my scrapping buddies and re-arrange an accidently double booked date with my friend, Monica. It feels good to catch up and re-connect - it is good to talk things through and resolve long-standing issues. [Much more cathartic than housework!]

And to tonight. Once the girls are in bed (in about 28 minutes... Not that I'm counting or anything...) I will be hosting a scrapbooking evening for myself and Steph. A chance to craft together and once again connect. And tomorrow night a longer evening with Nancy and Liane... Ahh! How I love to scrap!
So, time to get the girls in from the street. Meg is on her scooter and Tess is having a go at Ripsticking (which is a kind of skateboard split in two). Wish me luck!
And finally, a quote from Emerson:

Finish each day and be done with it. You
have done what you could. Some
blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and
serenely and with too high a spirit to
be encumbered with your old
nonsense.

2 comments:

  1. hot damn!! I am moved to comment - how could I not??
    Best,best FIL?? (and ONLY FIL but how churlish to complain)
    Sorry I haven't kept up-to-date with your blog - it really is very good - but I shall make amends from now on.
    BTW, sometimes Skype reports that Oliver Horton 1 is on line. Is that Olly, or is it your home computer? (Is it in fact you blogging away?)
    Keep up the good blogs
    Ta Ta
    Pete BBFIL

    ReplyDelete